Home Insurance in Spain

Home insurance in Spain is a set of policies that provides property owners protection of their property. Property insurance provides financial compensation to the owner or tenant of a building and its contents in case of damage or theft, as well as to others in case they sustain injuries while on the property.

Is it mandatory to take out home insurance in Spain?

In Spain, home insurance is not legally mandatory by law. However, it is highly recommended to have home insurance to protect your property and belongings from potential risks and damages. Home insurance can provide coverage for events such as fire, theft, natural disasters, and liability claims. Additionally, some mortgage lenders may require borrowers to have home insurance as a condition for granting a loan.

Reasons to secure your home in Spain.

Protection against theft and burglary: Home security measures such as alarm systems, surveillance cameras, and sturdy locks can help deter burglars and protect your property and belongings from theft.

Coverage for damages and losses: Home insurance can provide financial protection in case of unexpected events such as fire, floods, earthquakes, or other natural disasters. It can help cover the costs of repairs, replacements, or rebuilding your home and compensate for the loss of belongings.

Liability coverage: Home insurance typically includes liability coverage, which protects you in case someone is injured while on your property. It can cover medical expenses and legal costs in the event of a liability claim.

Peace of mind: Securing your home gives you peace of mind, knowing that you have taken steps to protect your property and loved ones. It allows you to enjoy your home without constantly worrying about potential risks and damages.

Compliance with mortgage requirements: If you have a mortgage on your property, your lender may require you to have home insurance as a condition for granting the loan. It ensures that your investment is protected, giving both you and the lender peace of mind.

When renting out a property in Spain, home insurance is a deductible expense.

Understanding the basics of home Insurance in Spain

Spanish home insurance provides essential protection for homeowners against property damage, liability claims, and other risks. It offers peace of mind by ensuring financial security in the event of unforeseen events and accidents. By understanding the coverage options and selecting a policy that meets their needs, homeowners can safeguard their most significant investment—their home.

In Spain, it is common for banks to require homeowners to have home insurance when obtaining a mortgage. If you decide to purchase a property in Spain, our Law Firm strongly advices to obtain home insurance.

What is home insurance in Spain and what does it cover?

Building insurance is the main component of Spanish home insurance. It covers the physical structure of the property, including any attached structures. It also extends coverage to fixtures and fittings within the property, such as built-in cabinets, plumbing, and electrical systems. Property insurance typically covers damage caused by fire, explosions, lightning, storms, flooding, theft, vandalism, and other perils outlined in the policy.

Liability insurance is another crucial aspect of Spanish home insurance. It protects homeowners from legal and financial responsibility if someone is injured or their property is damaged while on the insured property. 

Additionally, Spanish home insurance often offers optional coverages to enhance protection. These may include coverage for personal belongings, such as furniture, electronics, jewellery, and other valuables. It can also provide coverage for alternative accommodation if your home becomes uninhabitable due to a covered event. Some policies may even offer assistance services, such as 24/7 emergency helplines, locksmith services, or home repair and maintenance or provide the option of including alarm installation with police notification. Some home insurances may even include the option of life insurance.  

Types of home insurance

Differences between mandatory and optional coverages

In Spain, the mandatory and optional coverages in home insurance are similar to those in other countries. Here are the key differences between mandatory and optional coverages in home insurance in Spain:

Mandatory Coverages:

Dwelling Coverage (Seguro de Daños): This coverage is mandatory and provides protection for the structure of your home against specified perils such as fire, lightning, explosion, and natural disasters like earthquakes. It ensures that your home’s physical structure is protected.

Contents Coverage (Seguro de Contenido): Also mandatory, contents coverage protects your personal belongings and household items within the insured property against perils such as theft, fire, and water damage.

Liability Coverage (Seguro de Responsabilidad Civil): Liability coverage is mandatory and protects you against legal liability if someone is injured or their property is damaged while on your premises. It covers medical expenses, legal fees, and compensation for damages awarded in a liability claim.

Optional Coverages:

Theft Coverage (Seguro de Robo): This optional coverage provides additional protection against theft and burglary. It can cover stolen belongings and damage caused by break-ins.

Accidental Damage Coverage (Seguro de Daños Accidenales): This optional coverage extends the protection to include accidental damages that occur within the insured property, such as breaking a valuable item or damaging a fixture.

Legal Protection Coverage (Seguro de Defensa Jurídica): This optional coverage provides legal assistance and covers legal fees in case of disputes related to your home, such as property rights, contractual disputes, or neighbor conflicts.

Home Assistance Coverage (Seguro de Asistencia en el Hogar): This optional coverage offers emergency assistance services such as plumbing, electrical repairs, locksmith services, and other home-related emergencies.

Extended Natural Disasters Coverage (Seguro de Riesgos Extraordinarios): This optional coverage provides protection against natural disasters that are considered extraordinary risks and are not covered under the mandatory dwelling coverage. Examples include floods, landslides, and volcanic eruptions.

Do you need help with The plusvalia property Tax service?

The importance of insuring for the correct value of the property

Insuring your property for the correct value in Spain is of utmost importance for several reasons:

Adequate Coverage: Insuring your property for its correct value ensures that you have sufficient coverage to rebuild or repair your home in the event of a loss. Underinsuring your property can leave you financially vulnerable if the insurance pay-out is insufficient to cover the full cost of rebuilding or repairing your property.

Protect your investment: By insuring your property for its correct value, you can opt for replacement cost coverage. This means that in the event of a covered loss, the insurance will cover the cost of replacing damaged or destroyed items with new ones of similar kind and quality. This ensures that you can fully restore your property without incurring significant out-of-pocket expenses.

Compliance with Policy Terms: Accurately insuring your property aligns with the terms and conditions of your insurance policy. Most policies require you to provide accurate information about the value of your property and its contents. Failing to do so may result in claim denials or reductions in the pay-out.

Types of Home Insurance Available in Spain

In Spain, there are various types of home insurance available to meet different needs and preferences. Here are some common types of home insurance policies you can find in Spain:

Basic Home Insurance: This type of insurance provides coverage for the main structure of your home (dwelling) and basic contents coverage. It typically protects against perils such as fire, lightning, explosion, and natural disasters like earthquakes and storms.

Comprehensive Home Insurance: Comprehensive home insurance offers broader coverage compared to basic policies. It typically includes protection for the dwelling, contents, personal liability, and additional benefits such as legal assistance, home assistance services, and extended coverage for accidental damage, theft, or other specified risks.

Contents-Only Insurance: This type of policy focuses solely on insuring the contents of your home without covering the physical structure. It protects your personal belongings against perils such as theft, fire, and damage.

High-Value Home Insurance: High-value home insurance is designed for properties with high-value structures, expensive assets, and unique features. It offers specialized coverage to protect valuable items, luxury fittings, and the high reconstruction costs associated with these properties.

Tenant’s Insurance (Seguro de Hogar Inquilino): This insurance is specifically designed for tenants and offers coverage for their personal belongings and liability in case of damage to the rented property. 

Holiday Home Insurance (Seguro de Segunda Residencia): This insurance is tailored for second homes or vacation properties. It provides coverage for the property itself, contents, and may include specific provisions for seasonal occupancy and rental income.

Mortgage Insurance: Some mortgage lenders in Spain may require borrowers to have mortgage insurance as a condition for granting the loan. This insurance is designed to protect the lender’s interests in case of damage or loss to the mortgaged property.

Jose Maria Oliva, as a lawyer at Tejada Solicitors, advises that whenever dealing with rental properties or vacation homes, in order to avoid problems in the event of an insurance claim, it is necessary to inform the insurance company about these circumstances.

 Making a claim on home insurance in Spain.

Each insurance company has its own internal procedure. From Tejada Solicitors Law Firm, we advise you to follow the instructions provided by the insurance company. However, we can offer some general ideas regarding evidence and steps in the process that may be helpful:

Comprehensive documentation: Gather and maintain detailed records of all documents related to the property, such as rental agreements, vacation agreements, inventories of assets, and photographs of the initial condition of the property.

Early notification: Inform the insurance company about the nature of the property (rental or vacation home) as soon as possible. Provide accurate details about the property’s use and frequency (e.g., whether it is rented permanently or only during certain periods).

Adequate policy: Ensure that you have the appropriate insurance policy that covers the specific circumstances of your rental property or vacation home. Review the terms and conditions of the policy to verify if additional coverage is necessary.

Maintenance and security: Keep the property in good condition and comply with all applicable regulations and safety requirements. This may include measures such as installing security alarms, fire extinguishers, and smoke detection systems.

Incident logging: If an accident or damage occurs on the property, record the details of the incident and take photographs as evidence. Notify the insurance company immediately and provide all relevant details.

Spanish real estate market

How to choose the right home insurance policy in Spain?

When choosing the right home insurance policy in Spain, consider the following steps:

  1. Assess your needs: Evaluate the specific needs of your property. Consider factors such as the location, size, age, construction type, and contents. Determine the level of coverage required for the structure, personal belongings, and any additional features you want to protect, such as swimming pools or garages.
  2. Compare between reputable insurance providers: Look for reputable insurance companies in Spain that offer home insurance. Consider their financial stability, reputation, and customer reviews. It’s important to choose an insurer with a good track record in handling claims efficiently and providing quality customer service.
  3. Review coverage, policy exclusions and limitations options.

Recommendations when taking out home insurance in Spain.

It’s important to note that Spanish home insurance policies can vary in terms of coverage limits, exclusions, and deductibles. It is essential to carefully review the policy documents, terms, and conditions to understand the extent of coverage provided. Pay special attention to the deductibles specified in the policy conditions and the excluded coverages.  

To purchase home insurance in Spain, homeowners can approach insurance companies directly or work with insurance brokers who can provide access to multiple insurers and help compare policies. You can also take out the Insurance through your bank. It is advisable to obtain quotes from different insurers to find the most suitable coverage at a competitive price.

Challenges with home insurance for foreigners

While obtaining home insurance in Spain is generally straightforward, foreigners may face some unique challenges:

Language Barrier: In Spain, the insurance industry primarily conducts business in Spanish. This can pose challenges for non-Spanish speakers in comprehending policy terms, conditions, and effectively communicating with insurance providers. While it is true that some insurance companies in Spain offer policy conditions in English or German, which significantly aids users when they make insurance decisions, we, at Tejada Solicitors, strongly advise requesting the policy conditions in English whenever feasible.

Residency Requirements: Some insurance providers may require proof of residency in Spain to obtain home insurance. Foreigners who do not have legal residency or are in the process of obtaining it may face difficulties in finding insurance coverage. However, there are insurers who offer policies specifically designed for non-residents.

Documentation and Identification: Insurance providers may request specific documentation and identification to process insurance applications. Non-residents may need to provide additional documentation, such as a valid passport, NIE (foreigner identification number), or proof of address outside of Spain.

Limited Coverage Options: Foreigners, especially those who own second homes or holiday properties, may find limited options for specific types of coverage. Some insurers may have restrictions or limitations on coverage for non-permanent residents or properties that are unoccupied for extended periods.

Higher Premiums: In some cases, foreigners may be subject to higher insurance premiums due to factors such as perceived higher risk, lack of established credit history in Spain, or unfamiliarity with local insurance providers. It’s essential to obtain quotes from multiple insurers and compare premiums to ensure competitive pricing.

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.
Terms and conditions - Data protection acceptance


In fulfillment of the Information legal duty established in the article 13 of the Regulation (EU) 2016/679, You are given the following basic information relative to the personal data given.

En cumplimiento del deber legal de información establecido en el artículo 13 del Reglamento (UE) 2016/679, se les facilita la siguiente información básica relativa a los datos personales facilitados.

Purpose / Finalidad


To give the services offered across the web or to attend to other types of relations that could arise with LEGAL AND TAX ADVISORS S.L.P. as consequence of the requests, negotiations or steps that the User realizes by means of the web, as well as the management of sending information and commercial communications by request of the user.


Prestar los servicios ofrecidos a través de la web o atender otros tipos de relaciones que puedan surgir con LEGAL AND TAX ADVISORS S.L.P. como consecuencia de las solicitudes, gestiones o trámites que el Usuario realice mediante la web, así como la gestión del envío de información y comunicaciones comerciales a solicitud del usuario.

Organic law 15/1999, of December 13, of Protection of Personal Data Information (in forward, “LOPD”) and Royal decree 1720/2007, of December 21, by which the Regulation of Development of the Organic Law 15/1999 (RLOPD) is approved, Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the PE and of the Council of April 27, 2016, which procedures will be of obliged fulfillment from May, 2018.

Ley Orgánica 15/1999, de 13 de diciembre, de Protección de Datos de Carácter Personal (en adelante, “LOPD”) y Real Decreto 1720/2007, de 21 de diciembre, por el que se aprueba el Reglamento de Desarrollo de la Ley Orgánica 15/1999 (RLOPD), Reglamento (UE) 2016/679 del PE y del Consejo de 27 de abril de 2016, cuyas normas serán de obligado cumplimiento a partir de mayo de 2018.

Addressee / Destinatarios

Internal automated file of LEGAL AND TAX ADVISORS S.L.P. and third parties for the development, maintenance and control of the juridical relation that is established when legal authorization exists from the user to do it.

Fichero interno automatizado de LEGAL AND TAX ADVISORS S.L.P. y terceros para el desarrollo, mantenimiento y control de la relación jurídica que se establezca cuando exista autorización legal por el usuario para hacerlo.

Rights / Derechos

Access, rectification, transfer, opposition and right to the oblivion. +info Political Privacy.

Acceso, rectificación, cesión, oposición y derecho al olvido. +info Politica Privacidad.

Additional Information / Información Adicional

You can obtain the whole additional and detailed Information that you need on the treatment and protection of your personal information and the Privacy and Cookies Policy on the link + info Political Privacy.

Puede obtener toda la Información adicional y detallada que precise sobre el tratamiento y protección de sus datos personales y la Política de privacidad y Política de cookies en el enlace + info Politica Privacidad.

Governing Law

For the resolution of all disputes or issues related to this website or the activities developed herein, the Spanish legislation shall be applicable, to which the parties expressly submit themselves, being competent to solve all conflicts related to its use by the Courts and Tribunals of Velez-Malaga.

If any clause included in these conditions of use is declared fully or partially null or ineffective, such nullity or ineffectiveness will only affect the said provision or the part of it that is null or ineffective, while the remaining parts will be upheld as the rest of the conditions of use and such provision or part thereof that is considered affected will be deemed as totally or partially removed.

Ley Aplicable

Para la resolución de todos los conflictos o cuestiones relacionadas con este sitio web o con las actividades desarrolladas en el mismo, será de aplicación la legislación española, a la que las partes se someten expresamente, siendo competentes para la resolución de todos los conflictos derivados de su utilización los Juzgados y Tribunales de Vélez-Málaga.

En el caso de que cualquier cláusula incluida en las presentes condiciones de uso sea declarada total o parcialmente nula o ineficaz, dicha nulidad o ineficacia sólo afectará a dicha disposición o a la parte de la misma que resulte nula o ineficaz, mientras que las demás partes se mantendrán como el resto de las condiciones de uso y dicha disposición o parte de la misma que se considere afectada se considerará total o parcialmente suprimida.


When renting a house in Spain, it is generally advisable to have two types of insurance coverage:

  1. Homeowner’s Insurance (Seguro de Hogar): While you are renting the house, the responsibility for ensuring the physical structure and any fixtures usually lies with the owner. However, it is essential to confirm this with the landlord or the terms of your rental agreement. Homeowner’s insurance typically covers damages to the building, such as fire, theft, water damage, and natural disasters. It may also provide liability coverage in case someone is injured on the property. Ensure that the landlord has this insurance in place and ask for proof of coverage.
  2. Renter’s Insurance (Seguro de Alquiler): When buying a property to let, it is advisable to consider getting renter’s insurance to protect your personal belongings and provide liability coverage. Renter’s insurance typically covers your possessions in case of theft, fire, water damage, or other covered perils. It may also offer liability coverage if someone gets injured in your rented property. This insurance is usually affordable and provides peace of mind for the tenant. Make sure to check the contract and conditions so that it includes rental coverage.

International insurance policies may include coverage for properties located in different countries, including Spain. However, there may be limitations or specific requirements that need to be met to ensure the coverage is valid.

When determining the cost of home insurance in Spain, insurers consider various factors such as the location of the property, its age, size, construction materials, security features, and the value of the insured property. Additionally, the level of coverage, deductible amount, and optional coverages chosen will also influence the cost.